Metatarsalgia (Ball of Foot Pain)
Welcome to our “conditions we help” page. Today, we will be discussing Metatarsalgia – a condition that affects millions of people worldwide. Metatarsalgia is a foot condition that causes pain and inflammation in the ball of the foot. This condition can make it difficult to walk, run or stand for long periods of time.
Common Causes of Metatarsalgia:
Metatarsalgia is often caused by overuse or excessive pressure on the ball of the foot. This can be due to a variety of factors, including:
- High impact sports such as running, jumping, or tennis
- Poor fitting shoes
- High heels
- Foot deformities such as bunions or hammertoes
Prevalence of Metatarsalgia in Ireland and the UK:
Metatarsalgia is a common condition in Ireland and the UK, affecting approximately 10% of the population. It is more common in women than men, with older adults and those who are overweight or have diabetes being at higher risk.
Prevention and Treatment:
Fortunately, there are several steps you can take to prevent or reduce the pain associated with Metatarsalgia. Here are a few helpful tips:
- Wear proper footwear: Choose shoes that fit well, have a wide toe box, and offer good arch support. Avoid high heels and shoes with pointed toes.
- Use orthotic inserts: Arch supports or custom orthotics can help distribute pressure more evenly across the foot, reducing pain and inflammation.
- Take breaks: If you stand for long periods, take frequent breaks to give your feet a rest.
- Use ice and massage: Applying ice to the affected area can help reduce inflammation, while massage can help increase blood flow and reduce pain.
At Step Right, we offer a range of products and services that can help treat Metatarsalgia, including custom orthotics, arch supports, and footwear designed specifically to alleviate foot pain. Our team of experts can help you find the right solution for your individual needs.
Remember, foot pain is not normal, and you do not have to live with it. If you are experiencing foot pain, do not hesitate to seek help from our team of experts. We are dedicated to helping you get back on your feet and live a pain-free life.